Sunday, November 8, 2009

European Speedsailing Championships, Dungarven 1st - 7th November Days 3 & 4


We were all called to the beach for skippers meeting at 9.30am on Day 3 so i got down to the beach at 9am to get my gear together ready for the day. The 20-25 knot winds forcasted the day before never materialised and it was not even half what it was forcasted so it looked like it would be a waiting game all day but i still got my Starboard I Sonic 111 with 38cm Vector Maui ZX Fin and 7.5m KA Koncept and also my Starboard I Sonic 87 with 36cm Vector Maui Rockit fin and 6.6m Koncept onto the beach incase the wind showed up. Not long after i had put my gear on the beach a freak gust flipped over my Starboard I Sonic 111 onto the fin of a board next to mine and put a 4" hole in the bottom of it so i was gutted as it is still practically a new board and now was out of action for the week. We spent the rest of the day waiting but the wind never picked up enough to get any speedsailing in so the day was postponed and skippers meeting called for 9.30am the following day.

We woke on Day 4 to be greeted again with winds from the North West and also alot less than forcasted. It seams that all the wind was missing us here in Dungarven with all the reports coming in from all the other locations in Ireland of people overpowered on their smallest sails. This was annoying as all we needed was a decent strong South Westerly and all the guys here would see what Dungarven is like when it gets the right direction. I got down to the beach for 9.30am for skippers briefing and there was not enough to get in any sailing so the organisors checked out Clonea Beach just round the headland to the east to see if we could hold any racing there. About an hour later we were told to relocate as it was blowing 20-25 offshore at Clonea and really flat aswell. I packed up my 5.8m , 6.6m and 7.5m KA Koncept and my Starboard I sonic 87 and W49 and headed over to the other beach. When i got there i rigged up my 7.5m KA Koncept and 6.6m Ka Koncept and Starboard I Sonic 87 with 36cm Vector Maui Rockit fin and when the green flag went up i headed on the water with the Starboard I Sonic 87 and 7.5m KA Koncept. When i was on the water it was apparant that there was big holes in the wind and was really gusty but also the wind was also up and down so i was spending most of the time up to my waist in water and never got anywhere near the course. Eventually the wind dropped off to almost nothing and i had to get a lift back to the beach on a rescue boat, as most people did and was realived to find that the organisors did not call it an official round and it was only a fun round. At least we all got on the water and now we all hoped we would get some good winds to get a result.

No comments:

Post a Comment